- 1 Can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) traditional pack Alaska salmon OR 8 to 10 oz. skinless, boneless salmon (canned or pouched)
- 1 Egg, slight beaten
- 1/4 Cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 Cup thick barbecue sauce
- 1 Cup fresh bread crumbs (about 2 slices of bread)
- 4 Cheese slices, if desired
- 4 Hamburger buns or rolls
Drain salmon thoroughly, squeezing out excess moisture. In bowl, flake salmon with fork. Add egg, onion, barbecue sauce and bread crumbs. Blend thoroughly until mixture is almost smooth.
Divide and form mixture into 4 patties. Preheat broiler; oven or grill to medium-high heat. Place patties on spray-coated broiling pan or well-oiled perforated grill rack, set 4 to 5 inches from heat. Cook about 4 to 5 minutes per side. Add cheese slices, if desired. Serve on buns or rolls.
Cook's tip: For Hawaiian salmon burgers, substitute teriyaki sauce for barbecue sauce, and top with grilled pineapple slices. Serves 4.
Generously contributed with permission by
The Soldotna Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Information Center
44790 Sterling Hwy Soldotna, AK 99669